Sub-Committee on Sustainable Energy Research (SCSER)
The Sub-Committee on Sustainable Energy Research (SCSER) seeks to contribute in developing and enhancing the science, technology and innovation (STI) capabilities of ASEAN Member States in accessing and utilizing sustainable and renewable energy resulting in reduce carbon emissions, increasing the share of renewable energy to 23% by 2025 and reducing energy intensity by 20% in 2020 based on 2005 level, as ASEAN contribution to UN SDGs.
The Priority Areas of SCSER for 2016-2025 are:
- New and renewable/alternative energy such as biomass/biofuels, solar, wind, geothermal and hydro;
- Sustainable energy and environment technology such as clean coal technology, nuclear technology and natural gas;
- Innovative energy efficient technologies such as heat pumps, cogeneration, energy management systems and energy storage systems;
- Smart energy technology applications/solutions for remote areas and MSMEs; and
- Positive integration of 4IR technologies into the energy ecosystem.
The functions / specific objectives of SCSER for period 2016-2025 include:
- To intensify joint research, development and innovation, technology demonstration/transfer and commercialisation with the relevant stakeholders in sustainable and renewable energy;
- To enhance and sustain the accessibility and utilisation of sustainable and renewable energy integrated with smart technologies in remote communities and MSMEs;
- To strengthen Intra-ASEAN cooperation and to heighten Dialogue Partners engagements in enhancing the capacities of ASEAN Member States in sustainable and renewable energy research, innovation and climate resilience;
- To strengthen information network/database for exchange and dissemination within and outside ASEAN; and
- To strengthen institutions and centres of excellence cooperation.
To be updated