Sub-Committee on Materials Science and Technology (SCMST)
SCMST goals are to develop new materials for a sustainable environment, to utilize both indigenous and waste materials, and to develop a strong base for future technology innovation through networking and human resources development.
The sub-committee aims to undertake R&D collaboration which are common in nature to ASEAN member countries in the areas of materials for management of the environment, environment friendly materials from resources in ASEAN, materials for high technology applications and energy by utilizing indigenous sources, and biodegradable and recyclable materials.
The sub-committee also intends to develop a technology information network as well as mechanisms for technical consultations for industrial concerns and exchange of human resources for R&D work.
Priority Areas for 2016-2025:
- The Human resource development in the field of materials science and technology.
- Technology development in engineering materials and processes.
- Implementation of material science and technology in these areas:
- Energy security
- Food security
The specific objectives of SCMST are:
- To undertake inter-ASEAN collaborative R&D on new and innovative materials for high technology applications;
- To develop environmental friendly materials;
- To establish network for the exchange of information;
- To enhance human resources development programme through training, seminar and workshop; and
- To promote optimum utilization of facilities through scientist and student exchange.
The Chairmanship will be for a period of 3 years and follow the schedule based on rotation of Chairmanship by alphabetical order.
Chair 2024-2026: Indonesia
To be updated